Welcome to China!

Welcome to China!
The Qilin stood guard over many entrances into the many ancient pagodas, palaces, and temples of China. There was a male and female on each side of the entrance. How one could tell the gender difference is by the size of the ball under the front paw of this beautiful sculpture. The smaller ball indicated a female dragon while the larger ball represented the male dragon, demonstrating greater strength, a real protective bulwark! Standing guard outside of the Summer Palace, the Qilin is known by some to be sacred pets of the deities and only capable of punishing evil and evildoers. Many words and characteristics are associated with the Qilin such as fertility, longevity, protection, luck and benevolence despite its stoic and sort-of intimidating appearance. As divine and peaceful creatures, they are mindful and respectful of every form of life surrounding them. As one can see, the Qilin bears many animalist traits, such as a lion's tail, ox's hooves, deer antlers, scales and skin of a fish, and the traditional Chinese dragon head. Quite a sight to observe!

What's Your Dream? Add it to the Dream Board!

What's Your Dream?? Add it to the Dream Board!

There is a little faux-Starbucks-type coffee and tea shop just a 5-10 minute walk from the university campus. Alan told us where he found it and it became a quiet little shop for peace of mind, quiet, soothing music, and, of course!, some hot tea! Although my favorite and most comforting order was matcha tea, I also tried some other options ranging from citrus teas to aloe-scented and ginger teas. The barmaid was so sweet and had such a beaming, innocent smile and part of my relaxation was knowing she was there ready to exchange simple Mandarin with me.

As I was delving into my matcha tea and doing finishing touches before my final two classes for the day, I looked across the shop and on the opposite wall, there was a dream board. Beneath the title, "Dreams set sail, a reflection of the value of life", there are all of these little Post-it notes with people's dreams written across them. I was tempted every day to add one of my dreams to the board, but to no avail. In fact, I wasn't quite sure what dream I would add since I was currently living one of them!

As I read the title every time I walked into the shop, sometimes many times in one sitting, I wanted its proverb to soak in and reflect in my very being. I had to really think about how dreams setting sail reflect the value of life. I may not be very clear in my revelation, but I will try my best.

Ever since I can remember, when I was little, I always wanted to discover ancient lands, African safaris, fully immersing myself into such diverse cultures, setting my soul free. Humble finances, frequently being told that I couldn't, or shouldn't, travel because of the "what if's" began to drown any hope of my going anywhere. Being so active in so many extra-curricular and school-related activities, particularly basketball, kept me grounded. I could travel to different states, which was very exciting for me, but due to the year-long pre and post-season commitments, especially in college, there was no chance of any of my innate cultural passions coming alive. Until one day, in 2008, I received a letter of acceptance of receiving a Fulbright-Hays scholarship to Africa. I received it right before my 1st period class rolled in. I was absolutely breathless. In fact, I ran to the faculty restroom, fell to the floor, and cried. It was really happening and my dream was about to come true!

What I didn't realize was that this very acceptance letter and invaluable experience in Southern Africa planted a seed of passion that would grow bigger and bigger that it could no longer be contained. I was different, changed. My heart will never be the same. My eyes saw differently. My mind processed with such a wider scope of thinking. I devoured every bit of information I possibly could and from 2008, six years later, I was off to Nepal, the following year China.

The more I read that title in the tea shop, the more I began to understand how much I loved and valued life, not only my own but those lives around me. The more I interacted across the world, shared my experiences with students, friends, colleagues, family, the more alive I was feeling. The greater purpose I felt within my very bones. The more confident I grow in who I am and in my vocation. The more I come to understand God's purpose for what I was created to do.

It continues to remind me of a quote said by Mark Twain, one I hope every reader takes to heart and becomes involved in our international and national communities. This is a quote that shouldn't be read to say "oh, good stuff!", but rather one that inspires its beholder to take action and explore this beautifully diverse world:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

So, combine my story with Twain's quote with the title of this dream board and you found the basis for my blog. Albeit it was a very quick 22 days in China, being accepted by International Partnerships in Education in China as a volunteer teacher was an absolute dream come true! My life will never be the same and I am very excited about where the winds will take me!



Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Beijing Reflections...July 17th

Beijing has really taught me so much about China and the Chinese people.  I guess until one truly explores and opens their hearts up to the possibility that maybe, just maybe, their impressions of a particular people, village or society could be romanticized, skewed and downright stereotyped, they will always bear just half a loaf. They are bereft of the other half loaf that contains the treasure chest of empathy, connectivity, rich in culture, a beauty of nature that leaves its beholder speechless, breathless, incapable of ever conveying or replicating this beauty again with which anyone they wish to share.  

Beijing is the capital city of China, containing approximately 22 million people. But Beijing, like any other major city, has its traffic and rush hour. I have yet to see any beat-up car; all are nice, fairly new or brand new with common models of BMW, Honda, Audi, and Toyota.  However, cars can only be driven on certain days, dependent on the odd and even numbers on their license plates. The wealthy can always maneuver around this rule and they purchase multiple cars so that every day, they are able to drive their own vehicle without needing to depend on public transportation.  On the other hand, there is a fair share of bicycles and motorcycles, but mostly, the Chinese walk.  Every now and then you'll hear a few honks, but the city is so quiet, like a smooth breeze that transitions the day effortlessly. The Chinese culture is very subdued and they exhibit an innate level of patience I've never witnessed...EVER!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Peace Prevails

Peace Prevails
Walking on the grounds of the Lotus Pagoda in Guangzhou, I froze in my steps as I glanced at this sign. You see, I saw this very same sign accommodating a statue of Buddha at the Himalayan Horizon in Dhulikhel, Nepal. I was so enamored by everything it stood for and the constant lesson that many of us must embrace for the unity of our present and future generations worldwide!

Tiananmen Square

Tiananmen Square
This square is so massive and open to an ever-flowing presence of pedestrian and tourist traffic! Known for its infamous Tiananmen Square Massacre in 1989 due to the democracy movement led by students and workers, the square felt so bereft of passion and tension, two climates, I'm sure, that permeated strongly in 1989. There were many guards on post, scouting the Square with their ever emotionless expressions. This historical moment in Chinese history and one that captured international attention is nonexistant in Chinese schools and is one not discussed unless with a family member or close friend. Using the Chinese version of Google, researching this massacre results in every image, BUT the government-inflicted martial law and violent response. The results show many photos of the square itself, smiling faces, the Chinese flag waving in the wind, and many tourist selfies. What a striking dichotomy!

Mao Zedong

Mao Zedong
You can see Mao Zedong's picture displayed in Tiananmen Square once you move beyond these elaborately beautiful gardens. Selected as a hero of China's Communist Revolution, this revolutionary holds great status in Beijing, and frankly anywhere in China so long as you are using Chinese currency as you will find Zedong's face on each yuan. Perhaps cliche or too touristy, I purchased Mao Zedong's Little Red Book and started to read its opening pages on how to be a good Communist. It's very interesting how simple ideas turned into vindictive measures of accomplishing Communism as Zedong and his wife saw fit. But if one looks closer at all that Mao Zedong had accomplished and struggled during his reign, the bigger question is, as heroic as he may seem to some, might others have thought otherwise, that, perhaps, he was a villain?

Mao Zedong Sculpture

Mao Zedong Sculpture
Also in Tiananmen Square, just outside of Mao Zedong's Mausoleum, is a beautifully crafted sculpture depicting the revolutionary struggle, which successfully established China as a Communist country in 1949, still celebrated in this square every year!

Forbidden City

Although I remarked on the immensity of Tiananmen Square as it is the largest public square in the world, the Forbidden City's monstrosity was just unfathomable to comprehend in regard to its length, distance, ornate decorations and architecture, and the insurmountable tourists and visitors that poured through each of its gates, climbing stairs, touching its imperial doors, and taking multiple photos, never truly capturing its ancient essence!

I find myself constantly short of words to describe feelings and what it was like to stand amongst the other people before these colossal sites. Even more difficult to describe was standing at the top of the stairs, in front of the palace, overlooking swarms of people and imagining I was the emperor ready to deliver a speech. Sometimes I think we fall short of words because words can only do so much justice to our emotions, descriptions of what we see and what we feel. If words could truly convey the same excitement, that same breathless wonder, and aura of our experiences, there would be very little incentive to experience that moment ourselves, in our own ways. But to be there and visualize the time periods when many of these historical sites were once active and feel every element of our environ is something that becomes very dear and true to us as we continue to learn and appreciate the progress of civilizations in prior generations, but also to explore our own ambitions, aspirations, and dreams.

The Forbidden City, now a major tourist site in center Beijing, was the site of the imperial palace for 24 emperors and empresses from 1420 of the Ming Dynasty until 1912, concluding with the Qing Dynasty.

Forbidden City

Forbidden City

Forbidden City II

Forbidden City II
This was a view from outside of its impenetrable walls.

Temple of Heaven

Built in the early 1400s during the reign of the Yongle Emperor, this beautifully constructed temple served as the site in which the Emperor would retreat to twice a year and pray to Heaven for good harvests. It was believed that the Emperor was the son of Heaven's authority father and this was his way of connecting Earth to Heaven through prayers for blessings for his country. As this temple has been decided a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1998, it is no wonder why. Its architecture and everything this temple represents, dating back to the early 1400s, represents yet one more fascinating piece of the growth and development of ancient Chinese civilizations!

Temple of Heaven

Temple of Heaven

Annex Hall

Annex Hall
Facing out towards the public, one would see three main halls. Inside each hall are plaques and sculptures that depict the purposes this temple served for the Emperor and his people. In addition, there were beautiful pieces of art that displayed the emperors that used this Temple of Heaven as well as the series of events that took place to offfer up sacrifices and prayers, worshipping Heaven and praying for its bountiful harvests twice a year, year to year.

Emperor Yongle

Emperor Yongle
The Temple of Heaven was constructed during the reign of Emperor Yongle between the years of 1406-1420.

Temple of Heaven Art

Temple of Heaven Art
Emperors would wear specific garb and abstain from meat during their prayers and sacrifices at the Temple of Heaven. These ceremonials were not open to the public to observe or participate.

Weeping willows, lotus blossoms, lily pads- it's so serene!

Weeping willows, lotus blossoms, lily pads- it's so serene!